Our Mission is to deliver continuing development of strength, speed, power and discipline into our student athletes. Every day we strive for our athletes to bring hard work, accountability and complete effort to every conditioning session. We provide every service capable to help the student athlete excel on the field, off the field, and in the classroom.
"Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret" - Unknown
Our Missions Focus:
- Organize exercises that progressively stimulate the athlete’s development of the necessary strength, flexibility and metabolic needs in their individual sport.
- Teach technique and performance prior to the introduction of all new training exercises.
Sport-Specific Performance Development
- Designing speed, mobility, reaction and conditioning programs that admit the metabolic demands for each sport.
- Designing specific power and strengthening programs that admit overall strength demands for each sport.
- Use scholarly, research-based nutrition procedures and protocols for improved body composition.
- Improve flexibility and body awareness to reduce and limit athletic-related injuries.
- Demand student-athletes to be accountable for their performance, take responsibility for their actions, and make no excuses for failure.
- Keep focus and to stay committed to the teams goals and to their personal goals.
- Impart the student-athletes to be patient and to sustain during times of difficulty.
LA Mission Head Strength & Conditioning Coach
Joel Gunterman, MS
Joel Gunterman is the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach here at Los Angeles Mission College. Joel received his Bachelor’s degree from Kansas Wesleyan University in Athletic Training. During his time a Kansas Wesleyan, Joel captained the Men’s Soccer team and was the Head Assistant Coach for the Woman’s Volleyball team. Joel received his Master’s Degree from Valparaiso University in Sports Administration. During his time at Valparaiso University, Joel was a Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer and Strength and Conditioning Coach. After receiving his degrees, Joel worked under Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Robert Dos Remedios as his Assistant at College of the Canyons. While at College of the Canyons, Joel was also the Head Assistant Coach for the Men’s Soccer Team. Joel is also the Athletic Facilities Coordinator for Los Angeles Mission College.
Office Phone: (818) 363-7886
Takato Sakurai (Tak)
California State University, Northridge – Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology.
NSCA CSCS, ACSM CPT, USAW Level 1 Sports Performance Coach, American Red Cross CPR, AED, and First Aid
Dean's List: Fall 2014, Spring 2015, and Fall 2015 semester.
Tak’s goal is to become a Strength & Conditioning coach at the collegiate level.
Tak enjoys working out, eating good food, hiking and traveling. Baseball and Soccer are Tak’s favorite sports to play and watch.
College of the Canyons Associates of Science Degree Kinesiology / Physical Education
Currently attending California State University, Northridge – Bachelor of Science Kinesiology / Applied Fitness
Expected to graduate Fall 2016
Jaime begun interning with the Strength and Conditioning program at Los Angeles Mission College since the summer of 2015. Jaime has also completed a Performance Specialist internship with EXOS at the Google headquarters in Mountain View California.
Jaime’s goal is to become a strength and conditioning specialist at the collegiate or professional level.
Jaime enjoys playing/watching soccer, likes to train or do anything fitness related. He also Like to go out and try new foods.
Degree in Kinesiology; Emphasis in Exercise Science
Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S) by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
Bryan’s goal in Strength and Conditioning is to be the best coach he can be.
Bryan enjoys hiking, basketball and playing the guitar.
COC 2013-2015 CSUN 2015- Present
2015 CIF League, City, and State Champion with Sylmar High School
Personal achievement PR, 300lbs power clean.
To become a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S) and to earn a Head Coaching position at the collegiate level and establish a respected strength and conditioning program, with the purpose of leaving my brand in this field of study.
Avid Soccer fan. In love with weightlifting and the discipline it requires. Enjoy helping people become stronger versions of themselves. I love to travel.